2.29.2012

June's winter wonderland birthday

I realized that tomorrow is March 1st and decided I need to stop procrastinating and post this party before the snow is gone for good. Are you ready? Here it is…my daughter’s Winter Wonderland 1st birthday party. Yes, I went over the top. And yes, I know she will never remember it. Do I care? No. Let’s be honest – this party was pretty much an excuse for me to design something, anything for that matter. I needed a design project. I needed it bad.

Since our daughter was born in the middle of the crazy blizzard of 2011, we decided on a winter wonderland theme for the party. I was really happy with the way it turned out. My color inspiration came from the snowman birthday party package that I purchased from Shindig Parties to Go. The package had a great combination of pink, lime, and robin’s egg blue with polka dot accents. So, I carried the theme throughout the rest of the party decorations. All of the printable papers and signs really came in handy for my DIY projects. Best purchase ever.

My first project was the invitations - my FAVORITE part of planning a party. I decided to save some money and create my own invites. I had found a basic set of white cards & envelopes in my supply stash that I had bought a while back. First, I designed the invitation layout & printed out the text for each invitation. Then, I used the 2” and 2 ½” circle cutouts from my snowman party package to decorate the front of the invite. Voila. Simple and cute invitations.


On to the d├ęcor. I bought bright white pom-poms and pre-cut snowflakes to hang from the ceiling. Don’t judge me for not making my own snowflakes…something’s gotta give when you work full-time! For the dessert table, I decided to use white and clear serving pieces so that the goodies really stood out. The balloon backdrop was inspired by this falling snowflake garland. Super whimsical and easy. The Happy Birthday bunting banner was created by moi but I found this great bunting pattern template.  My favorite pieces on that table have to be the Lollipop Forest trees. I definitely gave myself a pat on the back once those were completed. They were so easy to make and really added a fun element to the table. The desserts were all winter themed - frostbites (cookies), fluffy snow (cotton candy), ice crystals (rock candy), snowballs (rice krispie treats rolled in pearlized sugar), snow stacks (powdered donuts), candy canes and of course, cupcakes! I decided not to do a formal cake and it was the best decision ever. No cutting or serving = happy mom. My friend is an awesome baker and took on the task of baking all the cupcakes for the party. She is a saint. I love her. We decided to go with non-traditional flavors and she made lemon coconut and s’mores flavored cupcakes. They were ah-mazing. We also had a hot chocolate bar with different toppings to add - mini marshmallows, crushed candy canes, whipped cream, cinnamon, and sprinkles. All of the party photos below were taken by one of my fabulous friends - which was another genius idea. It was one less thing I had to worry about!

In order to keep the kids occupied, I had a few things in mind. First, was creating a “Snowflake Station” where the kids could decorate their own snowflakes. I bought some snowflake ornaments from Target (Christmas clearance racks!). The circle in the middle is actually supposed to be for a picture. Instead of a picture, I printed out different colored circles with each child’s name and glued them to the back. The snowflakes were all hung on the white, glittery tree branches, waiting for them to decorate. We also had an “Adopt-a-Penguin” station, where each kid could pick out an inflatable penguin to take home. I had a love/hate relationship with these penguins. I loved how cute they were and the fact that they kept the kids occupied for the entire party. I hated that some of the adults got hit in the face with them…so sorry, Grandma.


The beauty of having a winter wonderland birthday party is that all of the decorations can be re-used during Christmas & the winter season as well. Or, you can use your existing winter Christmas decorations instead of buying new ones. Score. So, this was of course my never ending excuse to my husband whenever I would come home with more decorations -“But babe, I can use these next Christmas too! I’m actually saving us money!” Also, since my daughter’s party was in February, I planned ahead and bought the majority of the wintery decorations at the after Christmas clearance sales. Double score. I love a good deal!

Party Printables: Shindig Parties to Go
Invitations: DIY (snowman graphics provided by Shindig Parties to Go)
Polka-dot Balloons: Amazon
Happy Birthday Banner: DIY
Lollipop Forest Trees: DIY
Snowflake Ornaments: DIY/Target
Cookies: Sugar & Flour
Penguins: Oriental Trading Company

1 comment:

  1. Adorable! OUTSTANDING! It looks like June will know her mommy think she's something really special when she looks back at these fabulous photos of her 1st birthday. She may not remember it but she will forever more appreciate all the love that you put into celebrating her!

    ReplyDelete