5.08.2012

re-design


My house is driving me crazy. It's time for some change up in here. My husband and I bought our townhouse about 4 years ago. Back then, I was working at an interior design firm and I had access to a lot of great d├ęcor items and furniture that I got for a hefty discount. So, our entire townhouse was furnished and decorated very quickly...with a lot of matching finishes and color schemes. Tsk, tsk…shame on me. Granted, I did get a lot of great pieces but, I am really starting to go stir-crazy looking at all of the espresso finished furniture that I HAD to have. Plus, it doesn’t help that I have design ADD and need to change things up every so often.

I have realized over the years that the most beautiful spaces are the ones that simply reflect the people that live there. Design is about making a space your home, in whatever way works for you. It is about acquiring items that you love and cherish {that do not need to match}. It is about enhancing your daily life. There are no “rules” in design. Sometimes the best design epiphanies happen when the “rules” are broken. There are definitely a lot of tips and techniques that can make your space more functional and beautiful, which I have learned a lot about throughout the years and am happy to share. But, they are simply opinions and feel free to take them or leave them. 

As my design mantra has evolved, I feel that I am outgrowing our space in certain ways and it is in need for some updating to reflect our family’s style. It hasn’t had any major updates since we moved in, with the exception of designing our daughter’s bedroom before she was born. My plan friends, is to do this by spending as little money as possible. I know that is typically the agenda for any design project but, I’m talking about using major penny pinching techniques, which I will share with you all, of course. I've got some ideas in the works right now and I can't wait to actually start executing these projects. Only one more week of school left, then the fun can begin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment