8.28.2012

vintage desk makeover

Hey peeps. Good news on the homefront. I finished my desk! We finally had some decent weather 2 weekends ago so I took advantage and devoted the entire weekend to completing this project. Isn't she cute? Yes, it's a girl. :) You might recognize some of the other items too - the "new" chair and table runner...they are totally jiving here. It's amazing what you can put together from thrift stores and Craigslist. The desk is still in need of some accessories and maybe some new artwork but, that will come in time. For now, I am just enjoying my new little office area.



If you didn't read the original post, here is the before picture. It was in desperate need of some lovin.


Obviously the scenery around the desk changed too. I decided to put the desk downstairs in the living room instead of our bedroom. Our bedroom was looking a little crowded and I had kind of outgrown our living room end table. So, the end table was passed down to my brother, our bedroom is now more spacious and we have a functional office space. It was a win-win-win situation.

Here's how it went down:

  • Remove all knobs/hardware.
  • Sand any areas with peeling paint and give it an overall good sanding.
  • Use wood filler and a putty knife to fill in any holes, dents, wood imperfections, etc.
  • After the wood filler has dried completely, sand it down to get a nice even surface.
  • Wipe with a damp rag to remove all dust from sanding.
  • Tape off drawers.
  • Prime. I used spray paint primer by Rustoleum and it was super quick and easy.
  • Once primer is completely dry, sand lightly with a fine grit sandpaper. 
  • Wipe with a damp cloth to remove dust particles.
  • Time to paint! I used a semi-gloss paint with primer by Behr. I painted all the trimwork first with a 2" brush. Then, I used a mini roller brush for the large surface areas. The roller brush worked really well. It produces a nice even coat of paint and saves you a ton of time.
  • After the first coat has dried, apply another coat if needed. I used 2 coats of paint for this project.
  • I let the desk completely dry overnight. Then, I applied the knobs.

And here's the goods:

Desk: $20
Knobs: $10 (Hobby Lobby)
Paint & Materials: $30 (Paint color is Martha Stewart - Rainwater MSL120)

$60 for a custom desk makes me damn skippy. 


2 comments:

  1. Love the blue color! I've been on the hunt for a desk to refinish for my daughter's room-looks like you made a good score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Hope you find something for your daughter!

      Delete