11.25.2012

frosted pine cone ornaments

The first year we had a place of our own, I was in need of some ornaments to fill our bare Christmas tree. So, I did what most people do and bought a box of generic ball ornaments from Wal-Mart in order to fill all of the gaps in our sad little tree. They did the trick for the last few years but they just didn't have any soul. I was literally walking out of Jo-Ann's this weekend after buying all my things when I saw a bag of pine cones in a crate next to the door and shazam...an idea hit me smack in the head.


And that was the end of the Wal-Mart ornaments. These ornaments have mad soul. Sentimental and homemade ornaments are the way to go, in my opinion. This really is an easy and inexpensive way to add to your holiday decor, especially if you are a first-time homeowner or are just craving some change to your decorations.

Here's what you'll need:

- Bag-o-pine cones or just grab some from outside
- Paint (I used metallic white pearl)
- String or thin ribbon
- Glue gun/glue sticks


Just glob some paint on a paper plate and roll the pine cones around until the tips are coated. Let them dry for a few hours or overnight. Once the pine cones are dry, cut string to the length you desire, tie a knot  around the tip of the pine cone and secure it with a dab of hot glue. Then, tie another knot with the loose ends. Let the glue dry and you're ready to roll. 


If you don't need any extra ornaments, these would also look great as a little pine cone winter wonderland!


No comments:

Post a Comment